What sets Midway apart from other institutions, is its employees who have been trained specifically to care for persons with Dementia related illnesses and who receive ongoing on-the-job- training by the Matron. The ongoing training ensures that the employees are well informed, understand how to execute their tasks and work with confidence. Bi-annual exams are written by all the Care Workers to ensure that they understand what they have been taught.
- 24-Hour Specialized Frail Care is provided;
- Focuses on healthy nutrition as proposed by the Department of Health;
- Purpose built care facility;
- Suitable environment within which residents dignity is maintained;
- A variety of therapeutic activities aimed at stimulating the mind/brain and ensuring physical wellbeing;
- Arts, Crafts and Sensory Stimulation (i.e. making biscuits, beadwork etc);
- Inter-denominational Church services;
- Midway employs adequately qualified nursing and caring staff to ensure the health of the residents.
- The personal medical and emotional care provided by Midway to its residents is what distinguishes us from other care centres, as residents are never left unattended;
- Ongoing in-service training of all staff is of a very high standard;
- All Midway employees are sent for continued professional development to further (or continually) improve the quality of service provided to residents.
- Midway is situated 15 kilometres from the Pretoria-East Hospital and has access to a physician within 1 km from the facility;
- One of three doctors will be available at all times for emergency medical situations and will also visit the facility once a week to attend to ill residents;
- Midway employs adequately qualified nursing and caring staff to ensure the wellbeing of the resident;
- Care Workers are registered with the Department of Social Development and Health and the required resident vs. care worker ratio is above the standard set by the Department of Social Development and Health;
- Midway does not provide medical services other than the administration of medication as prescribed by a doctor;
- All patients are required to have membership of a medical scheme;
- Bankmed, Anglo American and Discovery Health Medical Aids do pay a portion of the Frail Care of their members. Members or their representative need to apply annually for this benefit.
Registration & Accreditation
Midway is a registered member of the following organizations:
- Alzheimer’s SA;
- Dementia SA;
- Parkinson SA; and
- SA Older Persons Forum.
Midway is registered with the Department of Social Development and Health.
Care Workers are registered with the Department of Social Development and Health.
Midway is also Registered with the BHF (PCNS) as a Service Provider.